Caribbean Mussels are a flavorful and aromatic dish that combines the sweetness of coconut milk with the tanginess of lime and orange juice, the spiciness of sambal oelek, and the warmth of curry powder. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 12 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 slice grilled garlic baguette (*see note)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Sweat shallot, garlic, and ginger in the skillet.
- Tilt the skillet slightly and bloom curry powder in oil.
- Raise the heat and add orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, and water to deglaze, reduce slightly.
- Stir in thyme, bay leaf, coconut milk, and sambal oelek. Simmer until thickens.
- Taste the sauce, adjust if necessary, then add mussels and half of cilantro, cover.
- Hum a reggae or ska song while mussels steam for 3-5 minutes. Have fun with it!
- Discard any unopened mussels, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Arrange mussels in a bowl and pour sauce over. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- Serve with grilled garlic baguette and make someone happy!
Grilled Garlic Baguette:
- Slice a baguette into discs with diagonal cuts.
- Rub cut clove garlic on one side of the baguette, rub with melted butter.
- Grill on both sides to get good grill marks.
- Enjoy your delicious Caribbean Mussels with a slice of grilled garlic baguette!