On September 26, 2023, friends, family, and Kitchens for Good supporters were in attendance for a fantastic day celebrating the accomplishments of 28 promoted apprentices and seven new graduates. Attendees enjoyed a moving ceremony and lots of delicious apprentice-made bites and desserts.
Favorites from the day included braised short ribs with goat cheese and roasted beets, flank steak with herb gremolata and a demi-glace sauce, and shrimp in a spicy creole cream sauce topping bite-sized polenta cakes. Desserts were a crowd pleaser as always, with treats like German chocolate cupcakes, brûléed passionfruit tartlets, and fresh berry pavlovas drizzled with vanilla bean pastry cream flying off the sweets stations.
We celebrated the successes of our graduates as they completed their 2,460 hours of on-the-job training or marked the passage of their skills competency testing. All seven have become invaluable workers at the employer partner business where they honed their skills throughout the apprenticeship program.
The day ended with a few happy tears and moving speeches from our promoting class representatives before our newly promoted classes moved on to their on-the-job training placements.
Below are a few places where our grads and some of our promoted apprentices work in San Diego!
- Justine: Line Cook at Town and Country
- Faith: Pastry Cook at Hotel Del Coronado
- Damon: Prep Cook at Cardellino
- Annahlisa: Cook II at Hotel Del Coronado
- Jesus: Baker at Izola Artisan Bakery
- Ayoe: Line Cook at The Dana on Mission Bay
- Fredo: Cook at Hotel Del Coronado
- Patrick G: Cook II at 7 Mile Kitchen at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
- Patrick W: Line Cook at Coasterra (Culinary Class Speaker)
- Ruben: Busser at Island Palms (Hospitality Class Speaker)
- Stephanie: Host at Island Prime
- Roberto: Cook at Veterans Village
- Isaac: Line Cook at C-Level
- Sam F: Baker at SugarBears Sweet Provisions
- Sam R: Baker at SugarBears Sweet Provisions
- Jennifer: Baker at SugarBears Sweet Provisions
…with more being placed every day!